Why The Blog?

Having had no luck with miracle diet plans and advice from so called experts, I tried to expand my knowledge of diet and nutrition and find my own results. As I gained knowledge I became aware that all is not what it seems.


Recently I've read numerous books and searched many websites, some books date back to the 70's (not much has changed since then). One book in particular "Natural Alternatives To Dieting" by Marilyn Glenville was especially useful. The book was published in 1999, I read the book about 8 years ago, at the time I thought wow ! but did I take the advice and change my lifestyle...No !


"What you do with this knowledge is your choice - one things for sure, you can't say you didn't know".


Please take the time to read the articles...you may be surprised, you may be shocked, but please don't take my word for it...check it out for yourselves, libraries and web browsing won't cost you a penny, just your time.


"If I never questioned what I was told, I wouldn't have been any wiser".


I've gained enough knowledge to bring you this blog site. I don't have all the answers, I'm certainly not an expert but I can signpost you to other online resources that may help.

Saturday 6 September 2008

Butter or Margarine

What is in Margarine?
Margarine's contents are restricted by law. It must contain at least 80% oil, 15,000 IUs2 of Vitamin A, and a liquid solution based on milk products and water. Salt and vitamins can be added, as well as flavour enhancers, texture smoother's, and preservatives.


Since 1979, almost all American margarine's have been made with vegetable oil, which is high in Vitamin E, but a few are made with beef fat. In Europe, three of the six most common blends of fats include whale oil or animal fat.

Should We Eat margarine?
Margarine contains no cholesterol and very little saturated fat. It tends to be lower in calories than butter. It's a good source of Vitamin A and E, as well as essential fatty acids.

Recently dietitians have discovered the dangers of hydrogenated fats, especially those found in margarine. To keep margarine from melting, it's treated by adding hydrogen atoms to the fat molecules to make them more saturated, which raises the melting point. The reason why? Hydrogenated margarine doesn't spoil or become rancid, and rodents and insects won't eat it.
Unfortunately, the process of hydrogenation creates trans-fats, which your body can't digest properly, and the hydrogenated fats stimulate your body to create cholesterol. Margarine also has trace elements of the toxic metals used in the process.


More info: http://curezone.com/foods/margarine.asp

What about olive oil? Well I thought it was the best choice, then I came across this: http://muratducarta.bttradespace.com/AllPosts.aspx

No comments: