Why The Blog?

Having had no luck with miracle diet plans and advice from so called experts, I tried to expand my knowledge of diet and nutrition and find my own results. As I gained knowledge I became aware that all is not what it seems.


Recently I've read numerous books and searched many websites, some books date back to the 70's (not much has changed since then). One book in particular "Natural Alternatives To Dieting" by Marilyn Glenville was especially useful. The book was published in 1999, I read the book about 8 years ago, at the time I thought wow ! but did I take the advice and change my lifestyle...No !


"What you do with this knowledge is your choice - one things for sure, you can't say you didn't know".


Please take the time to read the articles...you may be surprised, you may be shocked, but please don't take my word for it...check it out for yourselves, libraries and web browsing won't cost you a penny, just your time.


"If I never questioned what I was told, I wouldn't have been any wiser".


I've gained enough knowledge to bring you this blog site. I don't have all the answers, I'm certainly not an expert but I can signpost you to other online resources that may help.

Saturday 6 September 2008

Artificial Sweetners Good or Bad ?

When it comes to food I guess we believe what we're told without questioning. Many of us, in our quest to lead healthier lives have switched to artificial sweeteners...

Not so many years ago artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and Saccharin were deemed unsafe for human consumption but now they're common place. It is claimed Aspartame sugar substitutes cause worrying symptoms from memory loss to brain tumours. But despite US FDA approval as a 'safe' food additive, aspartame is one of the most dangerous substances ever to be foisted upon an unsuspecting public."

This was a typical warning on labels of Saccharin containers
"USE OF THIS PRODUCT MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS SACCHARIN WHICH HAS BEEN DETERMINED TO CAUSE CANCER IN LABORATORY ANIMALS."

The aim of this blog isn't to scare you but make you AWARE ! There's hundreds of web pages dedicated to this subject, here's just a few:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_substitute#Controversy_over_perceived_benefits
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1467035542753985943&hl=en

While the above artificial sweeteners were declared "safe", the
Miracle Fruit Plant, sometimes known as Miracle Berry, which is a natural sweetener was controversially declared "unsafe" for human consumption.
An attempt was made in the 1970s to commercialize the ability of the fruit to turn non-sweet foods into sweet foods without a calorific penalty, but ended in failure in controversial circumstances with accusations that the project was sabotaged and the research burgled by the sugar industry to prevent loss of business caused by a drop in the need for sugar. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

No comments: